Stranahan’s limited release Snowflake Mount Silverheels Merlot goes on sale this Saturday, June 8, only at the distillery at 200 South Kalamath Street at 8 a.m.
There are a few changes to our procedure, so even if you’ve successfully purchased Snowflake in the past, please read on…
- Only 500 bottles make up this limited release, so if you’re lucky enough to obtain one, consider yourself almost as unique as the Snowflake itself.
- Snowflake Mount Silverheels Merlot is $99 plus tax per bottle (limit 2) and each bottle is accompanied by tasting notes from Head Distiller Rob Dietrich.
- It is only available for purchase at the distillery while supplies last, on a first-come, first-served basis. It is not available for pre-order.
- Shoppers must be at least 21 years old with valid IDs.
- Typically, eager shoppers begin lining up the evening before the sale. No holding spaces or line cutting is permitted.
- Beginning at 6 a.m., tickets will be given out to all of those in line. Each ticket represents the bottle you may purchase. One ticket equals one bottle. Two tickets equal two bottles. No ticket equals no bottle!
- Plan accordingly for crowded parking. The Alameda light rail station is just four blocks away. Parking is available on the west and south sides of the distillery, but please be cognizant of NO PARKING zones – you could be ticketed.
Snowflake Mount Silverheels Merlot is named after one of our famed Colorado mountain peaks and the wine cask it was finished in. This unique pairing is a Stranahan’s Colorado Whiskey original, aged for two to five years in our traditional American white oak barrels with a #3 char, then cask-finished in used American oak wine barrels from the Balistreri Winery located right here in Denver. This unique coupling, along with the right conditions in our barrel house, produced a whiskey like no other, with bold, fruity notes and a creamy, cinnamon spiciness that leaves the mouth tingling.
The wine formerly resting in the casks was Little Feet Merlot, a rich and delightfully fruity wine aged for 12 months and vat-crushed during the summer of 2010 by the small, stomping feet of children – attended by their parents – as they enjoyed live music at the Balistreri Annual Harvest Party & Annual Children’s Grape Stomping.
On the Nose: Summer heat, cherries, plum, wet-cut wood, forest pine.
On the Palate: Rich plum, black currant, light caramel cream, shaved cinnamon bark, cherry jam, fresh hay, cedar-shavings, with a slight earth/peat taste and a peppery leather and spice finish.
This beauty has been cask-finishing for a year and a half in the Little Feet Merlot wine barrels, and as an added bonus, the Stranahan’s whiskey used for this particular batch is our milestone Batch 75. In order to keep each Snowflake unique, we keep it interesting by mixing up the process a little each time. Sometimes we use a single Stranahan’s barrel, other times it might be one or two barrels of definitively separate years. This time, it was Batch 75.