It is very pedestrian to need to make fun, or put someone down to make oneself feel better. That is usually the behavior of the jealous; those that have not had the personal success, to somehow feel superior to those that have. That can be in the form of an arrogant sales clerk, or haughty “old money” types that seek satisfaction by diminishing the self worth of the successful entrepreneurs, or companies that give information out assuming certain luxury/cultural knowledge base higher than is accurate. People often ask me to entertain them with tacky “nouveau-riche” stories making fun of people. My experience in general in working with these people is a very positive one. To a large degree they are a smart, fun, generous and interesting group of individuals who feel gratitude for their good fortune.
“The Luxury Guru’s” work is free from criticism and judgment. I offer the wealthy (often new money) the opportunity to learn about the best in all luxury categories. My shows/articles offer a safe and private venue, where those that know nothing on a topic, can learn free from the need to protect their ego. My shows do not talk down to people. I embrace positive intensions where all actions are loving and supportive. These people did not get to their level of success from being stupid, but because 92% of the world’s Ultra High Net Worth is “new money” they simple did not have the exposure to be brand aware. Most grew up in the middle class and would be more aware of mass brands than elite brands. They may know Nike but not Armani. Luxuries evoke positive emotion. These individual want to experience life to the fullest that their means allow, and they are hungry to understand the art of the different luxuries. The only way for luxury brands to grow in this environment is to educate these consumers on their brand’s history, quality and uniqueness. This is true globally. Every one is targeting this uber-rich group, and so TRUST is a big issue. To simply send out long videos with no identification as to the validity of them is just wasted capital. That is why media ventures like “Luxe TV” were not successful in reaching the UHNW. They just became one long running ad after another of luxury sales pitches with no sense of credibility, no person to trust, no connection made. The power of the personality is seen when Oprah mentions some obscure book and the next day it is on the best sellers list. People can connect to another person, but not to a thing.
A company can go after 50% of the world’s wealth by targeting the top 2% or by targeting the other 98%. Obviously the price of the product or service may determine witch group will want or need it. Most all magazines in print and web reach the “aspirational” group ….but very few successful reach the already arrived taste makers and influencers of the world. Not because they don’t want to, but because they do not know how. This small group does not respond to traditional mass marketing strategies. They are the least influenced by traditional advertising. They respond best with “peer to peer” approach. They are not swayed by a celebrity names like the masses are. It takes a specific approach and most marketers simply do not have the skill; most don’t even know the difference between a “blue chip” brand and “luxury” brand. The company that successful obtains the elite group automatically gets the aspirational “want to bes” that follow them.
"The Luxury Guru"
White Light Consulting
"Those who say it can't be done...need to get out of the way of those who are doing it!"
www.LuxGuru.Typepad.com Luxury Blog
Google her name for TV shows & web videos