The Barneys Green holiday program will include:
● Green-themed holiday windows at Barneys stores nationwide, designed by creative director Simon Doonan, featuring “Rudolph the Recycling Reindeer”, “The Twelve Green Days of Christmas”, and “The Heroes of Green” paying homage to everyone from Al Gore to Wangari Maathai. In addition to the Green windows, Barneys stores will feature children’s paintings of “Mother Earth”. These one-of-a-kind artworks are for sale with proceeds to benefit regional charities.
● A recyclable Barneys New York “Have a Green Holiday” shopping bag.
● Limited edition Barneys New York Green gift cards with slogans such as “Green is Groovy” and “Join the Green Revolution”.
● An extensive offering of Green gifts, accessories and fashion for men, women, and children.
● A Green-themed holiday catalog containing “gorgeous Green gifts, sensationally sustainable swag, and environmentally conscious tchotchkes of all descriptions.”
A percentage of sales from a significant number of featured Green products at Barneys will benefit environmental charities such as The Climate Project, The Natural Resources Defense Council, and amfAR. In addition, Barneys New York will support the American Forests Organization with a commitment to plant twenty-five thousand trees. “There is a new feeling in the air, says Barneys fashion director Julie Gilhart, “the issue of global warming has made our customers more socially conscious even when buying luxury items.”
“Our motto is ‘Taste, Luxury, and Humor’,” says CEO Howard Socol, “we thought it was time to add a little charm and levity to this important issue.”